Musings on going solar
In the Editor’s “On Going Solar” blog section, I’ll write about experiences I have with going solar. While many of the entries will involve a description of the process of going solar, some will also be general musings on going solar. The entries about my, really, our – my wife and family are also part of the whole experience -- going solar experience will be more informal and more current than the articles about my solar-charged driving experience and my general experience going solar I’ve posted to the “SCD primer” and “Going solar” sections. I hope some of you find at least some of my musings on "going solar" interesting, potentially useful, and, ideally, thought-provoking.
I'm definitely a fan of microinverters, or tiny inverters -- inverters, which convert the DC electricity produced by your solar panels to the AC electricity needed, are necessary components of all solar PV systems -- installed on the back of each solar panel. Studies have shown they are more efficient than central inverters.
Moreover, unlike central inverters with microinverters you don't have to deal with the silliness of solar panel "strings". Strings mean that the lowest performing panel on a "string" of panels, or a certain number of panels that must be linked together for electrical reasons that I'm not going to get into here, drags DOWN the production of ALL of the other panels on that string.
In fact, if we had to do it again, I would definitely go with a microinverter rather than a central inverter based system (we have a 5.59 kW system with a SMA Sunny Boy 6000 central inverter).
Microinverters were really only beginning to take off three years ago when we had our system installed, but they've grabbed more and more the market here in the U.S.
- Study: Angle key to solar panel snow problems
- Why our utility hates us: Solar independence
- Solar means no electric bill & almost no gas bill
- Heating our home with solar electricity
- Home solar means near net zero energy use
- Two years of solar = $5,400 in gasoline savings
- Bring on more sun for our solar, baby!
- Colorado Romney backer says solar doesn't work
- Does solar really add value to your home?
- Two snow on solar solutions from Europe
- Can wind rip solar panels off your roof?
- Eight straight days of solar system snow cover
- Let’s stop brushing off snow on panels problem
- One man and a Mr. Longarm take on snowstorm
- Germany kicks some serious U.S. butt on solar
- Colo. solar snow saga: Too cold to hose panels
- Gulf blockade would seriously stoke EV demand
- A dozen tips for getting snow off solar panels
- Four blue-sky sunny days, zero solar production
- Solar panels with snow slow snow-free panels
- Solar companies brush off snow problem
- So much support for solar, so little of it in U.S.
- Snow wastes millions of solar kWh every year
- Home solar is so much sexier with an EV
- Utilities encourage solar homeowner energy waste
- Celebrate fueling freedom on Independence Day
- Celebrating one year with home solar
- Five reasons rooftop & parking lot solar rock
- Solar is contagious
- Extra fee for solar home owners might be no-go
- Nickel and diming solar customers in Colorado
- Solar system rolls up extra kWh for our future EV
- April snow showers slow down solar production
- Solar system sends 5,000 watts back into grid
- The problem with solar in the United States
- Hosing snow off of solar panels
- Extra solar production = future gas savings
- Yes, snow on solar panels does matter
- Welcoming longer, sunnier solar days
- Save extra solar kWh you produce for your EV
- Snow on solar panels: Six design considerations
- Mr. Longarm not perfect for solar snow problem
- February a home solar loser so far
- Icy roof stops solar snow sweeper in his tracks
- Another snowfall, another solar sweeping session
- Snow count: 40 kWh saved, 40 kWh lost
- Man on a solar snow mission
- To sweep your home solar system or not to?
- Home solar production falls with shorter days
- Google's got our solar panels now
- Solar, solar everywhere
- Solar purists don't like gasoline savings claim
- Solar energy + electric car combo is no turkey
- Solar delivers 10,000 Sun Miles® for an EV
- Snow on solar panels slices production
- Solar as EV ‘gas’ can pay more than feed-in tariffs
- Savings add up fast with EV+PV combo
- Home solar nets $1,000 worth of "gas" in 81 days
- Solar before the EV the way to go for many
- How many PV+EV miles could you be banking?
- Stick-on PV film could improve efficiency by 12%
- Solar tip: Roll over extra electricity you produce
- A list of 'inexpensive' things that cost $8,500
- First month with solar nets 2,600 banked EV miles
- Solar can replace oil -- and eliminate your gas costs
- 1st week with solar = smiles and Sun Miles™
- Officially halfway to solar-charged driving
- 377 kWh of wasted sun energy -- and counting
- Aiding a solar powered home revolution
- Do HOAs impede green progress? Part II
- Solar industry needs a recycling plan
- Are HOAs holding up environmental progress?
- Home solar electric erases endless rate hikes
- Solar payback comes early for solar-charged driver
- High short-term costs barrier to long-term savings
- What comes first - the solar system or the EV?
- Micro-inverters: Part II
- Solar rebates falling nationally
- Are micro-inverters the way to go?
- Residential solar leasing lands in Colorado
- When conservation doesn't pay off
- Scoping out our roof for solar
Web blogs by current solar-charged drivers
-- Peder Norby's Electric BMW ActiveE Blog
-- Darell Dickey's EV Nut Web Site
-- Doug Korthof's Live Oil Free Pages
-- The Solar-Charged Electric Car Page
-- Solar Power and Electric Cars
-- Sun Powered EVs
-- Ecogeeco Web Site