Musings on going solar
In the Editor’s “On Going Solar” blog section, I’ll write about experiences I have with going solar. While many of the entries will involve a description of the process of going solar, some will also be general musings on going solar. The entries about my, really, our – my wife and family are also part of the whole experience -- going solar experience will be more informal and more current than the articles about my solar-charged driving experience and my general experience going solar I’ve posted to the “SCD primer” and “Going solar” sections. I hope some of you find at least some of my musings on "going solar" interesting, potentially useful, and, ideally, thought-provoking.
Yes, it’s been awhile since I’ve posted something new to SolarChargedDriving. It’s not easy holding down a full-time job, being a full-time father of two young girls, and doing all the things that need to get done for an upcoming year-long adventure in Germany, which will see us jet off to Hamburg exactly three weeks from today.
Meanwhile, we’ll have tenants leasing our Aurora, Colo. home who plan to lease a Ford C-Max Energi plug-in and who, ironically, will beat us to having a solar-charged EV in our solar-covered Aurora, Colo. home! Go figure ;-)
- Germany has better approach to solar than U.S.
- Home solar means an unthinkably low utility bill
- Should we feel guilty about heating with solar?
- Study: Angle key to solar panel snow problems
- Why our utility hates us: Solar independence
- Solar means no electric bill & almost no gas bill
- Heating our home with solar electricity
- Home solar means near net zero energy use
- Two years of solar = $5,400 in gasoline savings
- Bring on more sun for our solar, baby!
- Colorado Romney backer says solar doesn't work
- Does solar really add value to your home?
- Two snow on solar solutions from Europe
- Can wind rip solar panels off your roof?
- Eight straight days of solar system snow cover
- Let’s stop brushing off snow on panels problem
- One man and a Mr. Longarm take on snowstorm
- Germany kicks some serious U.S. butt on solar
- Colo. solar snow saga: Too cold to hose panels
- Gulf blockade would seriously stoke EV demand
- A dozen tips for getting snow off solar panels
- Four blue-sky sunny days, zero solar production
- Solar panels with snow slow snow-free panels
- Solar companies brush off snow problem
- So much support for solar, so little of it in U.S.
- Snow wastes millions of solar kWh every year
- Home solar is so much sexier with an EV
- Utilities encourage solar homeowner energy waste
- Celebrate fueling freedom on Independence Day
- Celebrating one year with home solar
- Five reasons rooftop & parking lot solar rock
- Solar is contagious
- Extra fee for solar home owners might be no-go
- Nickel and diming solar customers in Colorado
- Solar system rolls up extra kWh for our future EV
- April snow showers slow down solar production
- Solar system sends 5,000 watts back into grid
- The problem with solar in the United States
- Hosing snow off of solar panels
- Extra solar production = future gas savings
- Yes, snow on solar panels does matter
- Welcoming longer, sunnier solar days
- Save extra solar kWh you produce for your EV
- Snow on solar panels: Six design considerations
- Mr. Longarm not perfect for solar snow problem
- February a home solar loser so far
- Icy roof stops solar snow sweeper in his tracks
- Another snowfall, another solar sweeping session
- Snow count: 40 kWh saved, 40 kWh lost
- Man on a solar snow mission
- To sweep your home solar system or not to?
- Home solar production falls with shorter days
- Google's got our solar panels now
- Solar, solar everywhere
- Solar purists don't like gasoline savings claim
- Solar energy + electric car combo is no turkey
- Solar delivers 10,000 Sun Miles® for an EV
- Snow on solar panels slices production
- Solar as EV ‘gas’ can pay more than feed-in tariffs
- Savings add up fast with EV+PV combo
- Home solar nets $1,000 worth of "gas" in 81 days
- Solar before the EV the way to go for many
- How many PV+EV miles could you be banking?
- Stick-on PV film could improve efficiency by 12%
- Solar tip: Roll over extra electricity you produce
- A list of 'inexpensive' things that cost $8,500
- First month with solar nets 2,600 banked EV miles
- Solar can replace oil -- and eliminate your gas costs
- 1st week with solar = smiles and Sun Miles™
- Officially halfway to solar-charged driving
- 377 kWh of wasted sun energy -- and counting
- Aiding a solar powered home revolution
- Do HOAs impede green progress? Part II
- Solar industry needs a recycling plan
- Are HOAs holding up environmental progress?
- Home solar electric erases endless rate hikes
- Solar payback comes early for solar-charged driver
- High short-term costs barrier to long-term savings
- What comes first - the solar system or the EV?
- Micro-inverters: Part II
- Solar rebates falling nationally
- Are micro-inverters the way to go?
- Residential solar leasing lands in Colorado
- When conservation doesn't pay off
- Scoping out our roof for solar
Web blogs by current solar-charged drivers
-- Peder Norby's Electric BMW ActiveE Blog
-- Darell Dickey's EV Nut Web Site
-- Doug Korthof's Live Oil Free Pages
-- The Solar-Charged Electric Car Page
-- Solar Power and Electric Cars
-- Sun Powered EVs
-- Ecogeeco Web Site